Saturday 19 November 2011

Why can't I see Krishna even after Chanting?

Hayagriva Das writes that although I have been chanting for long, the cosmos has not unfolded psychedelically before me. What have I done wrong? Why haven't I seen that apocalyptic vision witnessed by Arjuna on the Battlefield of Kurukshetra?



According to Prabhupada, Sri Krishna revealed this form to Arjuna as a special favour. What Arjuna saw of course is beyond description and human imagination. He saw the entire creation contained in the Lord's body. The pure devotees however are not eager to see this form. Devotees prefer the two-armed form of Krishna as a cowherd boy. The virat-svarupa is exhibited to materialistic men who can be impressed only by the might and opulence of the Supreme.

So, I finally gather the courage to approach Prabhupada and ask, "Why can't I see Krishna as Arjuna saw Him on the battlefield"?

"You can" Swamiji says. "This is the process, chanting Hare Krishna." "I've been chanting Hare Krishna for more than four months now, but still I don't see that universal form with all the heads and arms. What am I doing wrong."? I complain.

Swamaiji looks for a moment and hands me the manuscripts of his recent translations of the elevanth chapter verses. I read:

"O greatest of all personalities, O supreme form, though I see You here before me in Your actual position, as You have described Yourself, I wish to see how You have entered into this cosmic manifestation. I want to see that form of Yours. If You think that I am able to behold Your cosmic form, O my Lord, O master of all mystic power, then kindly show me that unlimited universal Self." (Gita 11.3-4)

"There" Swamiji says. "If You think I am able to behold Your cosmic form." So what does that mean?
I look at the verse and think deeply again and feel stupid again.

"It means Lord Krishna is the best judge, So Arjuna leaves it to Him." I say.

"Yes, that is the process. Arjuna was a great warrior and a great devotee of Krishna, He didn't want to see that virat-svarupa for his personal benefit. He was asking on behalf of the materialists. Yet he says to Krishna that 'If You think I am able'. This is the attitude we should have. What do you think?"

"I don't think I am ready" I say.



"Yes. my spiritual master used to say, 'Don't work hard to try to see God, but work in such a way that God wants to see you.' So we should just go on with our chanting, and see Krishna in our service. Carry on with devotional service sincerely, and everything will come in time."

- Hare Krishna Explosion Ch6: Back to Godhead

 

No comments:

Post a Comment